“Supernova”

by ESP on October 2, 2010

Here is my entry to this months scanner imaging contest on Gardening Gone Wild:

Madame Ganna Walska water lily, purple heart, and Jewels of Opar planets.

Who would have thought you could have so much fun with a scanner, apart from the obligatory office pranks.

Coral Vine and more Jewels.

Stay Tuned  for:

“Maverick”

All material © 2010 for eastsidepatch. Unauthorized
intergalactic reproduction strictly prohibited, and
punishable by late  (and extremely unpleasant)
14th century planet Earth techniques.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Stephanie Lanier October 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Fantastic!! The colors and design is very dramatic. I attempted this technique as well. First of all, it is very addicting. Secondly, it is not as easy as it looks to get a good and clear image. Well done!!

2 ESP October 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Hi Stephanie.

Thanks, glad you like it.

I had the house to myself today for a few hours so I messed around with the scanning technique. You are correct it is not as easy as you would think, I even found myself developing customized tools to position things. I used a blunt flat knife to get the lily petals all facing the right direction.
The biggest issue I had, was all the seeds that kept spilling out onto the scanner!

ESP

3 Gail October 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Wow!!

4 Meems @HoeandShovel October 2, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Very cool. I recognized the purple heart and jewels of opar… so fun.

5 ESP October 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Hi Gail, thanks for the Wow.

6 ESP October 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Hi Meems and welcome to the ESPatch.
The jewels work great in these images, they resemble tiny multi-colored cherries.
It was fun putting these together.
ESP.

7 Elaine in Elgin October 2, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I knew Jewels of Opar was good for something, besides sprouting all over my yard! Great pictures!

8 Pam/Digging October 2, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Stunning, a sure winner.

Glad you liked it Pam. The first few I did looked way too busy…decided limited plants and simplicity was the way to go.

9 Les October 3, 2010 at 5:17 am

Wow! They should just close the contest now and declare you the winner.

Interesting some people are experimenting with suspending liquids using this technique…mmm
Cheers Les.

10 Amy October 3, 2010 at 6:30 am

Those are incredible! It does look like they are floating and I love the little jewels. I agree, looks like a winner!

11 ESP October 3, 2010 at 7:08 am

Hi and thanks Amy.
Yes the Jewels of Opar worked out a treat providing lots of pin-points of color.

12 John October 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I stopped by to thank you for your kind words regarding last month’s GGW contest and saw this. I’m amazed. Wonderful image! Looks like a winner to me…

13 ESP October 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Hi John…As soon as I saw your haystack shot I turned to my wife and said “Oh this will be the winner”…I was glad you took the Gold! :-)
Happy you like my entry this month, I have never tried this technique before, I had a fun day messing around with it with my kids.
Thanks John.
ESP.

14 healingmagichands October 5, 2010 at 7:06 am

Be careful! You may find yourself addicted to this art form — I certainly did. I love that supernova image. Very beautiful indeed.

Hi Ellie.
The only problem with it is the mess…I had celosia and Opar seeds scattered everywhere, I wouldn’t be surprised if some does not sprout in my back room! Yes it is a fun technique, and one I will use again. Thanks.
ESP.

15 TexasDeb October 5, 2010 at 7:20 am

Really superb, ESP! (I felt “wow” had been overused, lost some of its ooomph…).

No matter how the contest goes you’ve got a win here for sure.

Isn’t it extra fun that you got our mutually much admired Jewels of Opar photographed to true advantage using this technique? Their tiny size and cloudlike structure works against them out of doors but featured as a galaxy of stars on the scanner bed – just right! And as pops of orange working against the purple – you really know how to work your color wheel. We may have to dub you The Artiste of the Eastside.

16 ESP October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

TD.

Haha…Thanks TD!

And yes, I am so happy that the Jewels of Opar finally made it into a picture, and you are right, it is so hard to take a “real” picture of the seed heads outside, they always just seem to disappear against the background? It was a pleasant surprise to see how they looked as the first “preview” scrolled down on my display.

ESP.

17 Kacky October 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Amazing. Truly stunning. What else to say?!?!

Thank you Kacky.

18 Cheryl October 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Love the photo! A sure winner! I gotta get me some “jewels”!

19 ESP October 5, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Hi Cheryl.
Glad you like it.
Yes, the Jewels are just so unusual with their chartreuse foliage and multi-colored seed pods, and for them to be named from a mythical city in a Tarzan novel? Does it get any better?
ESP.

20 Mr. McGregor's Daughter October 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

Your scans just glow! I love them.

21 ESP October 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

Thanks McG’s Daughter, after messing around with these images we all naturally had to pull some crazy faces on the flatbed, well you have to don’t you?
I am with you, it is a really fun technique but a little bit too ‘fidgety’ for me to do very often…I had seeds scattered everywhere!
ESP.

22 TufaGirl October 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Lovely. Finally a great use for all those Jewels of Opar.

23 ESP October 21, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Thanks TufaGirl!

24 John November 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Amazing! What a great job, both conception and execution… — jw

25 ESP November 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm